WGU Students
turnitin - a HUGE vent! - Printable Version

+- WGU Students (http://wgustudents.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Student Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Taskstream (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: turnitin - a HUGE vent! (/showthread.php?tid=525)

turnitin - a HUGE vent! - Jendula - 01-14-2011 02:26 PM

I recently submitted a paper (essay form) for a task in EFT4. The task is how to teach a math concept (not sure if I'm allowed to say here?) and anyway, I got my "notification" email that said it needed revision.

So I login to taskstream to find that my task has been zero'ed out due to originality concerns. HUH?? I just about passed out from this for many reasons:
1. I did not copy my essay from someone else.
2. I have completed 60 tasks since December 13th, and I can't emotionally take the possibility of being kicked out of school for plagerism.
3. I DID NOT COPY MY ESSAY!!

Oh, I was shaking. I immediately called my mentor and left a message. Then I called student services and got a very pleasant woman to help me by looking into the situation. I explained the task to her in detail.. this task included the formula for a mathematical lesson. A formula that I'm sure eleventy billion other students have used in their papers. UGH.

Well, two days of sweatin' it out (because, for real, how could I prove I did NOT copy if the taskstream gods said I did??) and I get a lousy "please accept our sincerest apology for this glitch in the turnitin system. Please resubmit your task when you are ready." Yeah, I TOLD them I didn't copy. I spend two days being extremely upset and worried for them to claim a glitch??

O.o I am so happy to be 2 tasks away from completion.

RE: turnitin - a HUGE vent! - Denise - 01-15-2011 12:05 AM

WOW! My blood pressure went up just reading this! Thank goodness it was resolved in your favor.

RE: turnitin - a HUGE vent! - shuli - 01-15-2011 02:37 AM

my favorite is they make us use several sources and then our% on turnitin goes up as aresult]

this happens to me on almost every task

and it drives me crazy every single time

RE: turnitin - a HUGE vent! - agrasty2002 - 01-15-2011 02:40 AM

Wow sorry you had to go through all of that! SUCKS!! Glad you got it worked out though and were persistent about it. I haven't had the pleasure of having to use Task Stream yet, but it's sure to come at the end of this term. Sad I'm glad you only have 2 weeks left of that too! Smile Hang in there.

RE: turnitin - a HUGE vent! - mdsmith - 01-16-2011 05:51 AM

Is Turnitin being used again? I get the message below...

Turnitin.com and TaskStream
Turnitin.com and TaskStream Integration Temporarily Suspended Turnitin.com and TaskStream are working to resolve an issue that has been discovered on the reports being generated with student submissions. To eliminate the angst this reporting problem could cause in students, TaskStream is going to disable the automatic Turnitin.com feature for all WGU accounts temporarily. We anticipate the Turnitin.com feature will be disabled on Monday Nov. 15, 2010. The interruption of service should last a couple of weeks. Thank you for your patience.

RE: turnitin - a HUGE vent! - maryjean - 01-16-2011 07:24 AM

Turnitin has not been used in the Nursing program since November.

RE: turnitin - a HUGE vent! - dbaylor - 01-16-2011 02:55 PM

TaskStream graders use TurnItIn. Late last year they attempted to let us see our TurnItIn reports but demand overwhelmed TurnItIn. The Graders ARE STILL using it.

RE: turnitin - a HUGE vent! - mdsmith - 02-02-2011 03:07 AM

This is a new update I received in TaskStream..

"Although TaskStream has finished their end of the Turnitin.com integration, Western Governors University has not enabled this feature yet. Please do not be alarmed at the message you see in the Scores/Results area in your account. Right now, there will not be a report for you to view."

RE: turnitin - a HUGE vent! - btrout - 02-20-2011 09:26 AM

(01-14-2011 02:26 PM)Jendula Wrote:  I recently submitted a paper (essay form) for a task in EFT4. The task is how to teach a math concept (not sure if I'm allowed to say here?) and anyway, I got my "notification" email that said it needed revision.

So I login to taskstream to find that my task has been zero'ed out due to originality concerns. HUH?? I just about passed out from this for many reasons:
1. I did not copy my essay from someone else.
2. I have completed 60 tasks since December 13th, and I can't emotionally take the possibility of being kicked out of school for plagerism.
3. I DID NOT COPY MY ESSAY!!

Oh, I was shaking. I immediately called my mentor and left a message. Then I called student services and got a very pleasant woman to help me by looking into the situation. I explained the task to her in detail.. this task included the formula for a mathematical lesson. A formula that I'm sure eleventy billion other students have used in their papers. UGH.

Well, two days of sweatin' it out (because, for real, how could I prove I did NOT copy if the taskstream gods said I did??) and I get a lousy "please accept our sincerest apology for this glitch in the turnitin system. Please resubmit your task when you are ready." Yeah, I TOLD them I didn't copy. I spend two days being extremely upset and worried for them to claim a glitch??

O.o I am so happy to be 2 tasks away from completion.

I've never heard of turnitin and I've been at WGU for a year and a half! I have used TaskStream from the word 'Go' and have not had any issues with it...other than the occasional grader driving me NUTS!

If this had happened to me I would be crazy as well. I am glad to hear that the resolution was positive. I have 5 subjective courses left (8 total) and don't want to have a coronary between now and then!